Thursday, November 20, 2014

Quiz For a Rainy Day


In most parts of the country, a rainy day is a good excuse for staying indoors. Here in Northern California rain has become such a rare event that you have the opposite reaction: you want to get out into it. And that’s just what I did today.

First I headed up to the marine preserve and climbed the hill to the grove of trees on top. And although there were many trees, and they grew rather close together, they still didn’t form enough of a canopy overhead, and I was soon drenched. And loving it.

On the walk back down the path I looked out over the grey, choppy ocean and then down to the beach below. On it was a group of about twenty seals, nineteen of them seeming to be asleep, and acting as if it was just another day in the sun. But I could tell that they knew it wasn’t, and they were perhaps a little pissed about it. Except for the twentieth seal, a baby who bounced around the beach having a swell time, completely confused by the adults who seemed to want to waste another day just lying around. I remembered having that feeling myself, although it was a long time ago.

I hiked back down to my car and was absolutely drenched when I got there. And so what? I had spent the day hiking through the woods in the rare and glorious rain. Arriving back home I turned on the heater and put on some dry clothes, but the feeling that this was a special day, almost a holiday, wouldn’t leave me. In fact it’s still with me now, as I write this quiz.

It’s simple, really. All of the answers have “rain” or some form of it, in them. Oh, and watch out for the homonyms!


1. The title of this Dylan song is actually not “Everybody Must Get Stoned.”

2. The steelhead is one form of this fish

3. Last track on Eric Clapton’s self-titled 1970 album

4. 1988 movie starring Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman

5. This song by the Carpenters reached #2 in 1971

6. Prince album, song and movie

7. Considered the most successful of the Beatles tribute groups

8. Comedian and actor whose father Richard was also a comedian and actor

9. TV show about Mary, Queen of Scots that premiered in 2013

10. Dasher and Comet, to name two

11. To delay something, or put off until another time

12. It’s the last song on the Who’s Quadrophenia


ANSWERS

1. “Rainy Day Women #12 & 35”
2. Rainbow trout
3. “Let It Rain”
4. Rain Man
5. “Rainy Days and Mondays”
6. Purple Rain
7. Rain
8. Rain Pryor
9. Reign
10. Reindeer
11. Take a rain check
12. “Love, Reign o’er Me”


6 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Anonymous FUNGUS!!!! said...

Homonyms.....isn't that something you get from a "close encounter" with a gay friend???
(scratch, scratch, itch, itch)

A little lotion will clear that up!!!

A good quiz!!!

What's rain???

The last time I got soaked being outside was about a month and a half ago when I sweat so much from working, I was wet from head to toe!!!(It gets HOT here in the desert!!!)

About the only question I had a bit of trouble with was #7...not familiar with those tribute bands!!!(Sorry!!)

Send some rain my way!!! We woke to cloudy skies this morning but the moisture went north and south of us!!!

Flagstaff will get snow and Tucson might get a sprinkle!!!

Please send rain!!!




 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Leonard Stegmann said...

Sorry, we're keeping every drop. We have to grow your food, you know!

 
At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that mr.fungus is a pretty funny guy!

homonyms...ha ha!

sure glad i hit the rain up here in the northwest instead of having to drive in the north by buffalo!

all that snow really sucks!

i didn't know a lot of the answers because i'm more of a country music fan.

but i do enjoy more of the old rock as opposed to the new crap the i hear booming out of kid's cars on the highway or in town!

bring on the rain!

i'll haul the food back east when the harvest comes!



 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Leonard Stegmann said...

Okay, ANON, one of these days I'll have to come up with a country music quiz. I have a lot of studying to do, though. I know some of the old-school guys, but all I know about today's country music singers is that they all seem to be coming out of the closet.

 
At 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

coming out as closeted rockers!

not the same as it used to be!

fancy clothes, big hair and big tits!

a bit too much makeup but big tits!

those were the days!

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Leonard Stegmann said...

Uh, I don't think Ty Herndon and Billy Gilman came out as "rockers."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

website-hit-counters.com
Provided by website-hit-counters.com site.